August 11, 2021
BC FERRY & MARINE WORKERS’ UNION
AND WESTERN MARITIME INSTITUTE ARE PLEASE TO ANNOUNCE
THE COLIN LAIRD & HARRY CAMERON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
OPPORTUNITY FOR BCFMWU MEMBERS
“Western Maritime Institute and the Ferry Workers’ Union are pleased to announce another five-year agreement, sponsoring Ferry Workers who wish to further their careers in the marine industry. The Ferry Workers’ Union and Western Maritime Institutes Colin Laird & Harry Cameron memorial scholarship is part of an ongoing relationship between education and labour to ease the shortage of skilled seafarers within Canada” – BCFMWU Provincial President Eric McNeely
The Western Maritime Institute, www.maritimeed.com, and BCFMWU are proud to offer full scholarships to two (2) successful Union members for the upcoming Deckhand/Bridge Watch Rating Certificate course. The course will commence January 10, 2022 through March 22, 2022. The scholarship offer includes tuition and all required MED courses. Both scholarships will be awarded from all applications received by close of business November 1st, 2021.
Criteria for Application:
- BCFMWU member in good standing (required);
- Grade 12 graduation or GED equivalency (required);
- Math 10/11 & English 12 (preferable);
- Post-secondary education (preferable);
- BCFMWU member is active in the Union (Committee, Events, Meetings);
- A Local President’s signed letter of support must accompany application (required).
How to Apply: Applications will be accepted by:
- Email – send emails to Info@maritimeed.com. Please put BCFMWU Scholarship in the subject line.
- Fax to Western Maritime Institute at 250.245.4455. Please put BCFMWU Scholarship on the cover page.
Applicants Must Include:
- A cover letter stating why the member feels they should be awarded the scholarship;
- A resume with high school transcripts. If there are any post-secondary courses, include those transcripts as well;
- Local President’s signed letter of support;
- At least two (2) letters of reference.
What’s Not Provided:
- Necessary time off credits;
- Accommodation (subject to availability, the WMI has accommodation at very reasonable rates).
Please note candidates will NOT be interviewed. The selection process will be done entirely based on written applications. It is extremely important that applicants follow the instructions above. Applications which do not include the required materials will not be considered.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Monday, November 1, 2021 at 4:30 pm
To view as a pdf: Bulletin #49 Colin Laird & Harry Cameron Memorial Scholarship