June 16, 2022
VACCINE MANDATE ENDING UPDATE
There will be a special meeting of the Provincial Executive in the coming days to address the changes with Transport Canada and BC Ferries.
We are looking to schedule a town hall via Zoom, however, currently there is nothing to share other than there are many questions we are seeking answers.
The Union’s goal is to provide clarity and we need additional discussion and meetings with the Company to address a long list of items that have not been covered in the BCFS Employee Relations’ script to BCFMWU members on LWOP.
To date, outstanding questions regarding LWOP members includes those noted below. If you are a member on LWOP, please consider these items and contact the Union if you have other questions not addressed below.
- Training plan
- Route clearance
- Vessel clearance
- Seafarers medical certificate
- Travel/housing considerations and return to work flexibility (i.e., notice requirements to current employer to return to BCFS)
- Watch placement for regulars
- Schedules for staffing pool and casuals
- Vacancy postings once canvas has been completed
- Travel pass reinstatement
- Vacation accrual
- Pensionable contributions and service
- Severance options
- Maintenance of seniority
- Members seeking recruitment bonus post retirement/resignation due to non-vax status
- And last but not least, a prevention of bullying and harassment process for both returning and existing crews.
The Union understands people on LWOP may have moved, selected other employment to mitigate financial losses and may need to consider how and when they could return to their employment with BC Ferries.
The Union recommends members who want to return to work do so at their earliest possible convenience to mitigate future losses regardless of the outcomes of the group and policy grievances yet to be arbitrated.
To view as a pdf: Bulletin #35 Update Vaccine Mandate Ending